Positive EducationThese are some areas to investigate:
I also have a collection of ideas from various people on Pinterest:
MindsetsFixed and Growth Mindsets:
- Fixed Mindset - I can't do it and don't want to. I am not interested in it.
- Growth Mindset - I can't do it yet, but will have a try. I may not be interested now, but if I try, I may develop some interest and learn new skills.
Click on the link below:
STORY ABOUT FIXED MINDSETS:
Click on the link below:
You may like to try the VIA Character Strength survey (VIA - Values In Action) http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/Default.aspx
We can work on developing character strengths to help us with various relationships, tasks and well-being.
The Values and Character Strengths are:
Wisdom and Knowledge:
- Love of Learning
- Perseverance (Persistence)
- Social Intelligence
- Appreciation of beauty and excellence
Ned Kelly's Last Stand - Claymation video- Click on this link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq6i0L7iVIM
Franklin Forgives Video- Click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYU7iOAqkEU
The importance of Gratitude:Learning to feel and express gratitude can help you to have a sense of well being.
Some ways we can do this are:
- Have a gratitude journal
- Share stories with other people
- Increase your awareness of people in other situations and countries
- Write 3 things that went well each day (WWW - What Went Well)
- Role play
How can we help others and ourselves to be happier?
What has worked for me in the past? - How can I apply this to the future? What has worked for others?
- The Thankful Book - by Todd Parr- Click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CouOiVlybEA (The book is read about 1/2 way through the video)
- Grateful - by John Bucchino and Anne-Luisa Hakkaraine - Click on this link to hear an audio of the book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO7Dbd9mKvo
- Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? by Dr Seuss - Click on this link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcuw5p_did-i-ever-tell-you-how-lucky-you-a_fun
- The I Love You Book - Todd Parr - Click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DyyQqInjg
- Charlottes Web - Film snippet - Click on link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdX69cWtu6w
- I Have a Dream (Martin Luther King Jr) - Book by Kadir Nelson - Click on this link for his speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFcbpGK9_aw
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate: Click on this link for ideas that also incorporate reading strategies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSFNNBO6s8
A collection board of Positive Children's Books - Pinterest
Building relationships by 'Active Constructive Responding.'
We can respond in ways that build a relationship.
- We can amplify the information someone shares
- We can stall conversation by giving little involvement
- We can hijack the information and talk about our own experiences
- We can deflate the conversation by pointing out all the risks and downsides.
More Positive Relationship Building Activities:
- Acts of Kindness
- Passing a kind act on
- Sharing an object of significance with a group or friend
- Having a Gratitude wall
- Gratitude apps - for Smart phones (Project 365)
Emphasise a minimum of 3:1 Ratio of Positive: Negative in our interactions with others.